Eat Up provides free lunches to disadvantaged school children who would otherwise miss out.
Kids in Australia shouldn't be missing out on food. Unfortunately, 1 in 8 Australian kids arrive at school hungry every day. When I read this statistic in my hometown's newspaper, The Shepparton News, I wanted to help.
I started by making cheese and Vegemite sandwiches in my Mum's kitchen, taking what I could from her cupboards (thanks Mum!) and buying the rest. Then I dropped the sandwiches off, along with some recess snacks, to the two local schools mentioned in the article.
Teachers explain the issue best, they say "when kids are hungry they can't concentrate, and when kids can't concentrate, they can't learn". What I did was nothing grand or complex, and it still isn't, but thanks to the time of thousands of volunteer sandwich-makers, and the donation of food from companies like Coles and Goodman Fielder, a simple idea is now having a big impact.
Currently we support 453 schools throughout metropolitan and regional Victoria, Sydney and Brisbane. Making and delivering more than 9500 lunches each school week. Our aim is to provide for hungry kids nationwide. Because of the generosity the community, I know we can do it.
Skills & Expertise
- Creating opportunities for volunteers to contribute their time. People want to help, what is lacking more often than not is the opportunity for them to do so.
- Leveraging local communities. People love their hometowns, I do, and I'm sure you do too. Local solutions are the most powerful.
- Keeping things simple. Simplicity is a strength.
- Getting out of the way. Founders shouldn't always stand at the front.
- Resilience. This definitely helps.
Becoming a scholar
Inspired by our Westpac Scholars? Read on to find out more about our scholarship programs:
- Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship
- Westpac Young Technologists Scholarship
- Westpac Social Change Fellowship
- Westpac Future Leaders Scholarship
- Westpac Research Fellowship
Scholarship enquiries and updates
For scholarship enquiries email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Connect with us to find out how Westpac Scholars are helping to solve some of Australia's biggest problems: