Build your own adventure
The Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship supports undergraduates who are passionate about Asia and want to actively contribute to Australia's success in Asia.
Scholarship recipients are given the opportunity to spend a semester studying at a leading Asian University. Encouraging students to 'build their own adventure', the Scholarship also provides students with the freedom to individualise their exchange program and enhance their experience through a range of opportunities beyond the classroom.
The rise of Asia presents a unique opportunity for Australia. With this rapid growth in economic power and influence in our region, Australia is well placed to contribute to, and benefit from, growth opportunities on our doorstep. Our Asian Exchange scholars will help build a cohort of Asia-literate future leaders.
Students will benefit from:
- The opportunity to 'build your own adventure'. This will give students the flexibility to individualise their exchange experience. This may be a local internship, volunteering or work experience to enrich each student’s Asian cultural adventure.
- The chance to become members of the Westpac Scholars Alumni program and gain access to ongoing networking, learning and development opportunities.
$10,000 per student to undertake one semester of formal study at a participating Asian University.
Who are we looking for?
Scholarships are open to students from all walks of life, who have the passion, ideas and drive to make a difference. Successful recipients must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident, enrolled in their second year or beyond at a participating university, and are intending to do a semester long exchange. Westpac Asian Exchange scholars will also have the following:
- Passion for Asia
- A clear understanding of Asia’s role in Australia’s future prosperity.
- A desire to learn about a specific Asian culture, language, tradition or business through a combination of academic study and cultural immersion.
- Focus on personal growth and development
- Seeks new and challenging experiences.
- Ambition to build a future career connected to the Asia region.
- To be an active Westpac Scholars Alumni member and to advocate for the value of shared understanding between Australia and Asia.
- Bringing a variety of skills, beliefs, backgrounds and experiences.
- Academic excellence
- Applicants must have a credit average at the time of application and maintain this throughout the selection process
There is no substitute for in-country experience to help build cultural sensitivity and understanding.
Who can apply?
Scholarship applicants must be:
- an Australian citizen or permanent resident
- enrolled in second year or beyond at a participating university
- intending to do a semester-long exchange.
What degrees are eligible?
- We welcome applications from any student regardless of degree or faculty of study
Where can I study in Asia?
Our Asian partner universities are:
- Beijing: Tsinghua University and Peking University
- Hong Kong: University of Hong Kong and Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Shanghai: Fudan University and Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Singapore: National University of Singapore and Nanyang Technological University
A world Australians need to be part of.
Having already experienced an Asian Exchange experience, our ambassador, Natalie Cope, understands the benefits a Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarship can provide.
Westpac Asian Exchange Ambassador
Partnerships and Development Manager, Asialink
Natalie is a young leader from regional Australia who is now working with Asialink Business, where she aims to support Australian businesses and government build their Asia capabilities in order that they can engage more successfully with the different countries of Asia.
She is a strong supporter of the benefits of exchange programs and has herself participated in a number of exchanges, including Mandarin studies at Shanghai International Studies University, Asian Legal Studies at the Kuala Lumpur campus of Monash University in Malaysia, and law and business studies in Hawaii and Mexico. She has also completed Mandarin language studies at Tsinghua University, Beijing. Previously practising as a lawyer in Hong Kong and Beijing, Natalie is passionate about supporting young professionals working in the field of Australia-Asia relations. She maintains this commitment through her involvement as a founding member, and current non-executive director of the Australia-China Youth Dialogue and with ongoing active involvement with the Australia-China Young Professionals Initiative. Under the Asialink Business banner, she is also driving the development of a platform to further support and nurture Australia's Next Generation of Asia Capable leaders.
Natalie has a Bachelor of Arts and Law (Honours) from Monash University and was recently named Australia’s Top Emerging Leader and MBA Scholar by AFR BOSS and Sydney University, receiving the Emerging Leaders MBA Scholarship by the University of Sydney Business School and The Australian Financial Review’s BOSS Magazine. In her spare time, you can find her surfing with dolphins at her local breaks on the North Shore of Sydney and or skating the Manly Corso.
The next round of Westpac Asian Exchange Scholarships are now open. Apply before 15 July 2016.