Overview the Research Fellowship
Fund your vision to shape Australia
Westpac Bicentennial Foundation is partnering with Australia’s leading research universities to offer two Westpac Research Fellowships valued at a minimum $400,000 over three years. This unique fellowship supports outstanding early career researchers whose ground-breaking work has the potential to make a difference in one of the Foundation's focus areas:
1. Technology and innovation
2. Strengthening Australia-Asia ties
3. Enabling positive social change
Fellowship recipients will be exceptional people, chosen for their intellectual ability, leadership qualities, and commitment to the community.
The Fellowship has been co-created with our university partners to focus on the specific needs of our research Fellows, and covers each early career researcher’s full-time salary plus professional development and global experiences.
A new holistic approach to supporting your research
The Fellowship aims to free you from the need to apply for multiple sources of funding, allowing you to focus on your research. It includes:
1) Salary support for your position
The Fellowship will fund your fulltime salary and on-costs for a period of three years from the date of award.
2) Opportunity for professional development and global experiences
Leadership demands an ability to view situations and circumstances from a variety of perspectives. The Fellowship provides the opportunity to add a global context to your research and undertake professional development. This may include attending conferences, courses, travel for research, an internship or volunteering.
Funding is available in 2018 for a maximum of three years. Fellows must start their research by 30 June 2018.
Earning a Fellowship is just the start
Money can help launch a vision but it takes a network of inspired and inspiring people to sustain it. That’s why every Westpac Research Fellowship recipient is invited to join the Westpac Scholars Alumni program.
This program offers more than just membership of a network that will help your career. It’s an incredible platform enabling you to join a diverse group of inspiring peers and mentors and providing opportunities for practical support.
Growing by 100 scholars a year across our five scholarship programs, this network will connect those with bold ideas to build a better future for all Australians.
“No other program provides access to other researchers from such varied fields, introductions to the people and companies in the business world or provides the resources that this fellowship offers.”
15 June 2018: Applications open
27 August 2018: Applications close
6-7 December 2018: National Assessment Centre in Sydney
20 December 2018: Notification of outcome
April 2019: Westpac Scholars’ Summit
We're ready to help you change the world
Securing a Fellowship will make an immense difference to your research, resulting in lasting benefits for Australia.
To be a successful candidate, you will need to demonstrate how your proposed research contributes to the growth and prosperity of Australia in at least one of the Foundation’s focus areas.
Who can apply?
Fellowship applicants must demonstrate:
- Academic excellence and achievements to date.
- A supportive and high quality research environment.
- A strong sense of connection to Australia and commitment to improving the lives of others.
- The attributes of a Westpac Research Fellow. See the Fellowship Guidelines for the full list of attributes.
Fellowship applicants must be:
- You are an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
- You have been awarded a PhD between 1 September 2011 and 1 September 2014; or have obtained an Eligibility Exemption from the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research) or equivalent if your PhD was awarded prior to 1 September 2011
- Your proposed area of research is in a field of research at a participating university (refer to Our Partner Universities below) with an Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) four digit Field of Research (FOR) rating "well above world standing". For a comprehensive list of FOR ratings by university, visit the Australian Research Council’s website
- You are able to commence your research by 30 June 2019
- Your proposed research will contribute to the future of Australia in one of the Foundation’s three focus areas (please note: funding requests for the purpose of medical research as defined in the ARC Medical Research Policy available on the Australian Research Council website will not be considered)
- Your proposed research includes international opportunities to develop your leadership skills and global networks, such as; study tours for the purpose of research, attending a short course or conference, an internship or volunteering.
- You are able to supply two letters of reference, one academic reference and one personal reference; and a letter of support from the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Research).
- You are able to attend the National Assessment Centre held in Sydney on 6/7 December 2018.
Our Partner Universities
The Westpac Research Fellowship is offered at four leading Australian universities:
- The Australian National University
- The University of Melbourne
- The University of Queensland
- The University of Sydney
Your proposed program of study can be in any field of world class standing at one of these universities, and must be relevant to the Foundation’s focus areas.
“Already I've met so many people in the W100 who encourage me and inspire me. I have been able to find potential areas of research collaborations, and am able to pass on some advice to the next generation of young researchers.”
Some of our Research Fellows
Research Fellowship Selection Panel
The National Selection Panel comprises senior industry and academic leaders responsible for the final selection of Westpac Research Fellows and Future Leader Scholars. Through the rigorous selection process, the Panel is dedicated to recruiting Australia's best and brightest leaders, innovators and pioneers from all walks of life.
Applications are now closed for 2018 Westpac Research Fellowships.
The next round of Fellowships will open again in June 2018.
To keep informed about the Westpac Bicentennial Foundation and our scholarship programs, follow us on Twitter or LinkedIn.